Monday, March 21, 2016

Will of Samuel Odell Jr, 1788 - Green Co, North Carolina (now in Tennessee)


July the 5th 1788. 
In the name of God amen. I, Samuel Odell of the State of North Carolina and Green Co., being infirm in body; but of sound understanding do make and ordain this my last will and Testament in order following that is to say, I give and recommend my soul into the hand of almighty God that gave it and my body I recommend to the Earth to be decently intered at the discresion of my Executrix and touching such worldly Estate which it hath plesed God to bless me with I will and bequeath in the following manner and form. 

I give to my dearly and well beloved wife Elizabeth Odell two parts of my estate, and to my beloved sons Enoch Odle, Solomon Odle & Jeremiah Odle, I give and bequeath the Land I am now possesd of lying on Crobeys Creek to equally divided at the decease of my wife Elizabeth Odle and to my beloved Daughters Sarah Odle Ratchel Odle I give and bequeath an equal part of all my movable goods and Chattels and to be ordered at the discresion of my Executors William Whitson and Enoch Job. and I do hereby utterly disallow, revoke and disannul all and every other former Testament and wills in any ways mentioned. 

As witness I have here set my hand and Test, 
John Denton, Isaac Odle, George Stevins Samuel Odle (his mark is written on either side of the seal)

Transcription source - Rootsweb ➚
FAMILY MEMBERS MENTIONED
PROPERTY GIVEN TO EACH
Elizabeth Odell
(wife)
• two parts of his estate
Enoch Odle
Solomon Odle
Jeremiah Odle
(sons)
• his land on Crobeys Creek, to be divided among
them after their mother's death
Sarah Odle
Ratchel Odle
(daughters)
• equal parts o fhis movable goods and chattels at
the discretion of the executors
William Whitson • co-executor
Enoch Job • co-executor (Elizabeth's brother)

Background Information:
Samuel Odell, son of Samuel and Elizabeth Odell, was born 16 Jan 1750 in Dunmore (later Shenandoah) County, Virginia. It is suspected that his father, French and Indian War veteran and one of the first settlers of the Shenandoah Valley, came to the area near Powell's Fort in Old Augusta County (later became Dunmore County) because of a land grant received.  and died in Greene County, North Carolina (now Greene County, Tennessee). He is believed to be the first settler in the Cosby Creek Valley in what is now Tennessee. Wikipedia ➚ states that he settled at the junction of Pigeon River and Cosby Creek in the 1780's. 

This area was in the temporary State of Franklin around the time of his death, although there were parallel governments in operation. Samuel passed away at only about 38 years of age. Perhaps he had participated in the Battle of Franklin in February of 1788, in which a number of men on both sides were injured and three killed. Or, maybe, he fell victim to one of the frontier Indian attacks later that year and was mortally wounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment